dimanche 15 février 2009

Here's to you St. Valentin and African shaman!

Three museums in one weekend.  Oh and class at a real life French institution.  That pretty much sums up my weekend.  Friday was my first day of class at l'Institut Catholique de Paris.  Medieval history...we learned about land distribution, serfs, and seigneurs.  Fascinating... actually what was more fascinating, or annoying to be more precise, were the rude students.  As the professor lectured to 30 or so students, everyone talked.  Not whispered, TALKED, to each other.  My friend, Laura, and I were appalled.  We had heard about such behavior from other Americans who had taken courses at universities, but it was amazing to actually see it in action.  Talking, talking, talking, and the professor could barely do anything about it.  There were two "shushes" but no one even looked up.  Bienvenue.

Friday night I went out with Chenault, and we met up with Patience (from NU), who is here on another program.  We weren't quite sure what to do, so we headed to the Louvre.  Oh how I missed Evanston at that point... There was a dance show that was to be performed amidst the artwork in one gallery.  By dance, I mean people dressed in crepe sacks shuffling and moving their hands in weird ways.  Interpretive dance at its finest.  I shot some videos, so hopefully I will figure out a way to upload them.  Only in Paris would there be interpretive dancing next to an early Islamic statue.   Another girl from IES, Rachel, met up with us after the Louvre and we meandered around the area to find something to eat.  Around 10 we entered a little Japanese place.  Teryaki delight!  Actually it was not that good, but it was cheap and I was famished.  We sat and talked about our experiences for hours.  

Saturday was a sleep-in day.  For me that means getting up around 10:30.  I had lunch with the family, and then head to Musée quai Branly for Valentine's day.  There is nothing better to do on the day of love than go see a bunch of "primitive" art.  On the way there, I happened to trip over the Eiffel Tower.  It gets me every time.  What I mean, is that the metro station to get to the museum is right next to the tower so when I got out there were some trees, and a big ole iron thing.  Kind of cool.  Being a tourist, I took lots of pictures.  And I DEFINITELY heard more English in that area that French.  I wonder why....  Anyway, back to my Valentine's Day treat to myself.  The museum quai Branly depicts art from Oceania, Asia, the Americas, and Africa.  It is funny how the only region not represented was Europe. (Well Antarctica too, but that does not count.)  Does that mean that Europe does not have any tribal or "primitive" elements.  The museum is very controversial, and I understand why.  Not only are its contents controversial, but the way that the museum is laid out as well.  There are very few explanations that accompany the displays.  Therefore, visitors are left to their own interpretations.  Which might not necessarily be a good thing.  For example, most of the materials that represent North America consist of "Indian headresses," weapons from the hunt, and paintings of "Indians" by white folk.  It was very interesting, but I thought about the interpretation from someone who did not know much about far away places.  Many regions of each continent were represented, but this "museum of man" seemed to represent what one thought of the "other."  I know there is more out there, but I doubt every visitor does.  While I was at the museum, Patience and I contacted each other and decided to meet up for a movie.  More happy Valentines Day!  She and a friend, Woody, has spent the afternoon at l'Orangerie (another museum) so we all met up for a quick bite of Turkish food and then Slumdog Millionaire.  That is the second time I have seen that movie and I loved it just as much.  It was in VO (Version Originale) which meant it had subtitles, and no dubbing.  Phew.  

So as I said, one weekend, three museums.  Here comes numero three.  Sunday is everything is closed day, as I have said before.  However, most museums are open on the day of rest because it is a popular activity for the family.  That is what Sunday is supposed to be all about after all... I had lunch with the family.  My host mom's mother came over as she usually does on Sundays.  Afterwards I worked on a homework (yes that stuff is starting) assignment for awhile because then I had plans to go to the Musée d'Orsay with some friends!  I got there a bit after 4 so there was not much time to browse (they start clearing it around 5:30).  But this did not phase me because I have a d'Orsay pass, thank you IES, that lets me get in for free anytime, any day. Big old train station, lots of Degas, Cezanne, Monet, Manet, Renoir, Pissaro, Rodin...... and it kept going and going.  I probably saw about 3% of the museum but it was fantastic nonetheless.  I will probably be heading there quite often after class or something to hang out, see some artwork.  You know, the usual stuff we do back at Northwestern.  The other cool thing, is that in almost all museums you can take pictures of everything as long as you don't use a flash.  Therefore I snapped away all weekend.  
So that pretty much sums up my cultural escapade.  And another week of classes begins...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire