lundi 2 février 2009

The Day Paris was covered in Slush

Sunday morning we woke up to a tornado stricken house.  Well it wasn't too too bad, nothing was destroyed or anything.  A lot of empty bottles, dirty dirty floors, and crumbs.  It was all to be expected, and nothing a Swiffer, windex, mop, and broom couldn't cure.  I think I fell asleep around 2 the night before so I was pleased that I actually slept in (I woke up around 10:30).  However, my host siblings were kind of zombie-esque because they had gotten to bed after 5, plus they woke up a wee bit...out of sorts.  Once again, to be expected.  I had a date with my friend Chenault (she is also a junior at NU) so I left the house around noon.  I grabbed a bite at this awesome Arabic/Mediterranean place called Food Express.  It is one of the few cheap things in this wonderful city.  Couscous and kabobs = yum.  Chenault and I were to meet up and the Memorial de la Shoah (French Holocaust museum).  As I have said, Sundays are dead.  Even the grocery stores are closed, or close around noon, which proved to be a problem when I tried to find dinner Sunday night.  Jews have their Sabbath on Saturday; therefore, le Maurais (the Jewish quarter, which also happens to be the gay neighborhood- go figure) is kicking on Sundays.  I went the Sunday before with my host family, and it proved to be alive yesterday as well.  Although not as many people were out due to the bitter cold (maybe 34 degrees or so).  The museum was amazing.  Absolutely fascinating.  I highly recommend it for anyone who visits Paris.  It was completed in 2005 so it is relatively new.  France only acknowledged its government involvement rounding up the French jews in 1997.  (Decree by Jacques Chirac).  After spending about 3 1/2 hours wandering around the museum/memorial.  Then we found a little café and had coffee.  It was great!  We wandered around trying to find an open supermarket...no luck.  So I had to buy a tiny garden salad (5 friggen Euro!) from an Italian place, and I added some leftover chicken when I got home.  

This morning I woke up to a surprise: SNOW!  Well actually it was more like mush.  It rarely snows in Paris.  My teacher said that it snows about every other winter, lucky us.  It was gone around 11, and just rained the rest of the day.  Yuck.  I just had my language class today so it was a pretty uneventful, yet dreary day.  Zat is all.  

bisous

1 commentaire:

  1. Bonjour!
    on Sundays, a few big stores are open on the Champs Elysees, like Virgin Mega Store (books, BD and music). They pay a fine because they are open on Sundays, but they make more by being open that day. If you go there, don't miss the basement: the store is in a former bank and they kept the huge door of the safe.
    Also,on Sundays, if you need food there is always "le petit arabe du coin", i.e. a small grocery store somewhere on a street corner. They're always open, or so it seems.

    RépondreSupprimer