dimanche 25 janvier 2009

Paris Delinquent

Last night was my first night going out in the city since I got here.  It was...well interesting.  One of my host mom's best friends is also hosting a student as I said.  She goes to Depaul, as well as a bunch of other kiddies who are studying in my program.  Since Brittany lives right behind us, our "moms" decided we should get to know one another (kind of like the old school playdate stuff except they just gave us the other girl's cell number).  Brittany and I met at the corner of our two streets to head to the metro and meet up with some of her friends.  The goal was to find what we imagined would be typical Parisian bars.  As you all know, I don't drink but I love going out anyway. So we buy our little tickets since we haven't bought month passes yet (the metro tickets are small little stubs, that you can only use once so I bought one to go there and one to go back.)  Brittany and I get on the train and I toss my ticket into the trash so I don't confuse it with the unused one. Don't worry I am getting somewhere with this.  She and I have to get off in a few stops to wait for another girl at one of the stops on our line, and then we were going to all continue to our final destination, which is an area known for lots of little bars and cafes and stuff.  As we are waiting on the platform, a man comes up to us and says "Billets, billets."  (tickets)  We were really confused so he switched to English when he heard Brittany on the phone with her mom.  When we responded in French that we didn't understand what he was asking, he switched back to French.  Brittany handed him her ticket because she had just stuck it in her pocket to get rid of later.  The officer put her ticket through a little machine a few times and then asked for him.  He was a Paris metro police officer, and a real asshole.  He looked kind of like an SS officer to be quite frank and he treated us as though he was one. I gave the officer my unused ticket since I had gotten rid of my other one and we were still confused why we were asked for our used tickets.  However, when the ticket showed that it hadn't been used, he demanded that I give my other one.  I told him nicely that I had thrown it away because it was used.  He said (in French) well that's an "infraction," so you must show me your ticket or pay the fine!!  I was frantic and pissed.  Brittany and I both explained that we were American and had just arrived.  We told him we had no idea that I was supposed to keep the stub and I had thrown it away.  He responded, 'well it doesn't matter, you are in Paris, so you must know the laws.'  I told him that I was really sorry but still confused and I had only jsut arrived.  He kept on repeating.  'Maybe that's true, maybe not.  I don't know'  I asked how I could have gotten in otherwise and his response was, 'Oh there are ways, and that is an infraction.' Well my French was going to shit because I was so pissed and still confused as to what was going to happen.  Brittany continued to argue with him about the fine, which by the way was 25 Euro! A ticket costs 1,60 Euro.  She and I both asked if I could just use my other ticket that I had and come back in, because clearly I had one on me.  He told us that was impossible and I must show the old one.  After who knows how many minutes, I finally said that I would pay the fine, because otherwise it seemed the consequences would be much worse.  So he told us to follow him up a flight of stairs.  Then I had an idea.  I told him I only had a credit card, which was partly true, because I had only brought 25 Euro in bills.  However he said, "Pas de problème (no problem)" and called over another officer who also looked kind of like an SS officer and had a portable machine for cards (there was a group of ten or so officers stopping EVERYONE who came in or out.)  He gave me a ticket (receipt) in case I got stopped again. As we were walking back we saw another guy being charged, another girl frantically looking through her stuff, and some others digging through their pockets.   
So that was a weird way to start the night.  I won't be getting rid of those tickets again, that's for sure.  And I probably saved a bunch of the other girls 25 Euro because Brittany and I warned everyone else about what had happened, and they all agreed that they might have done the same thing.  I have never even heard of that process.  That was the annoying part.  My IES program had spent about an hour telling us how to use public transportation, how to buy tickets, which ones we should buy, etc.  But they NEVER mentioned anything about keeping your used ticket.  That seems like an important piece of information to have known.

Anyway,  we arrived at our stop and went to a few bars.  The girls all shared a pitcher or red wine at one, and hit the beers and mojitos at another.  I sipped a decaf espresso so I wouldn't be up all night, especially since I wanted to check out Club Moving the next morning. All in all it was nice to get to know some of the girls, and go out and explore the streets a bit.  There was a bit of hooting (could they be more stereotypical!), some Europeans trying to dance and sing to American music.  They failed.  And there were plenty of over-priced, not spectacular drinks.  There really aren't any "dollar nights" or open bar options in this place.  I guess I'll be saving my money, since I know where everyone elses' is going to go!   At midnight, four of us took the metro back so we wouldn't go home alone.  (That would be bad idea in Paris.)  

I guess I can say I am happy that I got to sleep in my own bed, and not some Paris cell or who knows what... 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire